If your home was a superhero, moisture would be its kryptonite. Excess moisture can do structural damage, create serious mold problems and even risk you and your families health but how does one save the day from severe moisture havoc; by bringing in the dehumidifier! Though it’s not a cure all — proper use can avoid excess moisture and keep your home in tip top shape. So how can you know when it’s time to bring in the reinforcements?
Condensation Take Over
If are noticing water beading up or fog along your windows — this is a sign of too much moisture in your home. A buildup can lead to rot and mold. It could be due to outdoor climate or improper sealing, but no matter what the cause is, you’ll want to turn on a dehumidifier in any areas that extra moisture is present.
If your bathroom ceilings or wall corners are beginning to go from white to black — you may have a mold problem. Steam rises, and the extra moisture can cause some serious home and health issues, so you’ll want to get to the root of the problem right away but before you do — run a dehumidifier to avoid excess damage.
The Smell That Won’t Quit
You know that musty basement smell, well it should be beaten with a dehumidifier! That musty smell is usually paired with mold, and that’s a health no-no. If you are noticing it in your laundry room — check your washer and dryers. Mold or a musty smell can mean your washer or dryer is to blame. Beyond turning on the dehumidifier carefully look for where the smell is coming from and if it is your washer and dryer, check with your manufacturer on how you can alleviate the problem.