If you’re awake and alert in your home, you’ll most likely know right away when something goes wrong with your water heater. You’ll turn on the faucet, expecting hot water, and get nothing but cold instead. You’ll hear loud, strange noises coming from your water heater’s general direction. Or, you might even see a flood in progress!
No matter how it happens, a busted water heater is an emergency that needs to be addressed immediately. Luckily, same-day water heater service in Salt Lake City and the surrounding region is just a quick phone call away, thanks to the plumbing experts here at Scott Hale.
Contacting us at the first sign of trouble is always a good idea, but if you find yourself in the midst of a water heater emergency, there are a few steps you can take right away to protect your property from devastating flood damage.
- Cut off the power source to the water heater. If gas is your fuel source, simply turn the dial on the thermostat to the “OFF” position. If it’s electricity, find the corresponding circuit breaker and flip it “OFF.”
- Shut off the water supply to the water heater. This can be done by locating the water valve and twisting the handle in a clockwise direction. If that doesn’t work, you may have to find the shutoff valve for the main water line to your house.
- Check around the water heater for visible cracks in the tank or signs of leakage so you can expedite the repair process once your plumbing expert arrives.
You can always count on Scott Hale to respond to your call for help in a hurry. We promise to provide professional repairs at affordable prices, and we’ll even give you a free estimate on a replacement water heater if it comes to that.
Of course, the best way to handle a water heater emergency is to stop it from happening in the first place. Water heaters are just like any other household appliance in that they:
- Work hard every day and suffer wear and tear in the process;
- Require regular maintenance to keep them running properly and efficiently;
- Don’t last forever!
This infographic illustrates some of the most common reasons for water heater failure. Be on the lookout for the warning signs, and take action if you suspect any of them apply to you.
Whether you’re overdue for a water heater inspection, you need repairs now, or you’d like an estimate for installing an energy-efficient tankless water heater to save you big money down the road, just pick up that phone and call Scott Hale today. See? We told you this would be easy!